Here’s a good old-fashioned Classic Beef Stew with rich beef gravy that lets all of the flavors come through. This is the perfect hearty dish. Nothing beats the classic, old-fashioned beef stew. This recipe comes with tips for achieving the ultimate rich depth of flavor! After a few hours in the oven, this classic beef stew becomes meltingly tender & enveloped in a rich, deeply flavored sauce.
Ingredients for Classic Beef Stew:
- 2 lbs Stew Beef – cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or one fresh clove garlic minced)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 large carrots – quartered and cut into small pie shaped pieces
- 3 celery stalks – halved and cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- Brown meat in the olive oil in a skillet on the stove top over medium high heat (2-3 minutes). Place into crock pot
- Add the 2 cups of water water and all ingredients to the crock pot. Cook in crock pot on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 45 minutes before serving, in a small bowl mix 1/4 cup of cold water and 2 tbs of corn starch together and mix until corn starch is dissolved. Once dissolved, add to the crock pot.
- Add the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix as well.